Old 08-22-2011, 04:19 AM
chamby

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter
First, let me say I'm enjoying this thread very much. I'm another one that uses W&N without knowing that (at the beginning, anyhow) it was supposed to be so difficult to 'needle'. I really have no problems with it and it's all I've ever used. Having said that, I have handled silk batting at a show once and would love to try that but talk about expensive - WOW!

I use Roxanne needles - usually #12, sometimes #11. I use whatever thread brand has the color I want as I want the quilting to show most of the time. If I'm putting that much work into something I want it to be seen! I also use the Thimblelady thimble. Very comfortable with very deep dimples. I've actually worn one out already. I have the stainless steel. Find them a bit more economical than the Roxanne thimbles.

I've never counted my stitches but they are consistent. Probably in the neighborhood of 8-10. I do find that the smaller the needle, the more SPI I can achieve. My sandwich is relatively loose in the hoop. Definitely easier 'rocking' and 'stacking' when it's on the loose side.
I can usually stack 3-5 stitches at a time. And yes, when quilting over an open section I can get more stitches and more consistent stitches than when crossing seams or stitching in the ditch. Working on a Carpenter's Wheel just now that I want the fabric and quilt design to do the speaking so I'm only doing in the ditch. Hope to have that completed this week.

I love handquilting. I find it very relaxing. I've always done some sort of handwork all my life. I finally came to the conclusion that you can only have so much cross stitching or needlepoint in your home. Quilting fills both my love of machine sewing (piecing) and handwork (quilting). Since I usually make large, bed-sized quilts I'm not overwhelmed with the volume of pieces I have. Plus I've given away just about every quilt I've made so far. I think I'm finally getting to some UFO's that will stay home!
DITTO