Old 08-22-2011, 08:09 AM
lvaughan

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
I was like you -- never thought I'd spend the money. Even figured out how many quilts I'd have to do for myself to get it paid for....NOOOOO!!!! WELL, a friend decided to move to Arizona and asked me to babysit his. :) :) I'm HOOKED! I love figuring out what design to do and playing on my TOY! Yes, expensive --- but I've always been frugal, never had much in my life and and and -- yeah, searching for reasons to have paid that much....:) Come to think of it -- DH paid $8000 for a new boat .......yeah, I can buy me a machine that cost $9000. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I had the same thinking as you. I didn't have a hobby until I started quilting 2+ years ago, all the funds went toward family. After the kids left home not only did I have more space, empty bedrooms, but more money too. What I paid for my longarm is definitely more than I have spent on anything for myself ever and anyone that knows me would find it difficult to believe I would have spent that much. My husband supported me getting the longarm and has told me how proud he is of me for the quilts I have completed. I also counted how many quilts I would need to do to break even as opposed to taking them to a longarmer. I figured 40 quilts, I have completed 4 and will be loading another sometime this week. My quilting isn't fantastic but I'm OK with my progress.