View Single Post
Old 08-23-2011, 06:41 AM
ritaquilts

I have mine similar to you. I have a LOT of fabric and could not afford the plastic boards to wrap them on so I cut a piece of cardboard and wrapped the fabric around it and slid the cardboard out. That way, everything is close to the same size, color coded and neat. I also measured each piece so I know what I have. At times, I wish I could close doors over it somrtimes to keep dust off but have no windows in that are so don't have a fade problem.

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north
I organized my sewing area last winter. I sorted them by col . ....Larger pieces (at least 1/2 yard) I fold and stack.... again by color. I can see the edges of the fabric and pick what I want. I also pin a sticky note on each piece that tells me how much I have of that fabric (1yd, 2 1/3 yds, etc.)

I've found that I actually use the fabric pieces instead of just go out and buy something new.... It's saved me money and helped me use up some things I've had for quite a while.

Also, check out the scrappy quilt sites mentioned on the board.... there are some beautiful quilts out there using small scraps.