Old 08-23-2011, 12:11 PM
charity-crafter

It was so weird about 2:00 my office mate said, "do you feel that?"

Felt like a large truck had driven by and then the whole bulding was shaking. We have fire drills and tornado drills but never had an earthquake drill.

So we're standing around going, "was that an earthquake? What do we do?" Finally our evacuation coordinators said, "everyone outside, we'll figure it out outside." Car alarms were going off all over the place. But fortunately no damage.

They had to decide weather to let people back into the buildings or close campus. After 40 minutes of all of us sitting outside on a nice summer day, with shade trees and a nice breeze the campus police came around with the bull horn dismissing us.

We had a smaller one last year but I slept through it, so I'm excited to say I've felt my first earth quake. And since there was no damage or injuries, I don't feel guilty for being excited about it.

The east coast is not known for noticable earth quake activity, but as someone pointed out there have been a few, they are talking about it on the news now.

It's weird how the one in New Zealand was a 6 and it caused so much more damage then this one...any geologist on the list who can explain? I know it's log scale so it's a big difference between 5.8 and 6..but that's about all I know and don't really understand it.