Old 08-26-2011, 04:03 PM
DogHouseMom

I had purchased a 50/50 cotton/"bamboo" blend King size bat for $20 in Paducah (as well as several other King bats, including a Soy blend - anything on Soy ladies?? <g>) - so I read this thread with great interest (have not used said batting yet). I'll probably still use it, heck I have it and I don't like to throw things away. But at least I know what I have now. 50/50 cotton/rayon bamboo!!

I guess I'm glad I didn't buy into the "bamboo" bed sheets that did feel incredibly soft.

From Wikipedia

Because the fibers of bamboo are very short (less than 3mm), they are impossible to transform into yarn in a natural process.[27] The usual process by which textiles labeled as being made of bamboo are produced uses only the rayon, that is being made out of the fibers with heavy employment of chemicals. To accomplish this, the fibers are broken down with chemicals and extruded through mechanical spinnerets; the chemicals include lye, carbon disulfide and strong acids.[22] Retailers have sold both end products as "bamboo fabric" to cash in on bamboo's current eco-friendly cachet, however the Canadian Competition Bureau[28] and the US Federal Trade Commission,[29] as of mid-2009, are cracking down on the practice of labeling bamboo rayon as natural bamboo fabric. Under the guidelines of both agencies these products must be labeled as rayon with the optional qualifier "from bamboo". Bamboo fabric is known for its softness and boasts strong absorbency and anti-microbial properties, though there is controversy as to whether or not the chemical process in bamboo rayon destroys anti-microbial quality.[29]

A new bamboo fabric has been developed at Beijing University and has created an interest in bamboo clothing, particularly those interested in using organic material. Clothing from bamboo is soft and comparable to cashmere.