View Single Post
Old 08-29-2011, 07:52 AM
Maurene

Originally Posted by Amythyst02
I know many of us use paypal, and I have never had an issue with them at all. But I did this morning receive an email from them. Instead of clicking on the link that was provided I called them instead. This email is one of those that is trying to get your information. I do not understand completely how its done, but I do know enough not to click on links. I just wanted to warn everyone here, because I know some might click on it, and the scammers would get your info. Here is a copy of the email that I received:

Dear PayPal Member

As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity in the PayPal system.We recently contacted you after noticing an issue on your account.We requested information from you for the following reason:

Our system detected unusual charges to a credit card linked to your PayPal account.

Reference Number: PPxxxxxxxxx

This is the Last reminder to log in to PayPal as soon as possible. Once you log in, you will be provided with steps to restore your account access.

Once you log in, you will be provided with steps to restore your account access. We appreciate your understanding as we work to ensure account safety.

Click here to activate your account

We thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. Please understand that this is a security measure intended to help protect you and your account. We apologise for any inconvenience
So if you get anything like this, call paypal, do not click on the link provided. Paypal will as you to send them a copy of the email so they can research and try to figure out who is sending these.

Its wise to keep a list of all the real email addresses of your financial and other important contacts. Compare addresses whenever you get fishy looking email - there's often something about the text that looks unprofessional or as if its a con job. When it is a 'spoof', 'spam' or 'phishing' fraud send it to the spoof dept of your real contact. They do actually investigate and deal with these robbers so it helps everyone to be a whistle blower/snitch. These fakes fool thousands of people every day and earn multi-millions stealing from unsuspecting, unprepared people like us.