View Single Post
Old 08-30-2011, 09:13 AM
GailG

Originally Posted by EmsMom
Yes, in HS, but that was YEARS ago LOL Do they even still teach "Home Ec"? I never sewed much after that at all. I just started the last year getting interested in sewing/quilting. I need to probably take a class in both.
I was a Home Economics graduate with a degree in Home Ec. Education -- and yes we taught foods and nutrition, clothing construction, child development, and family life. Now the course is called Human Resources and they've just about done away with the actual cooking and sewing. It's a sad day. Some of the teachers ( of the old school or of the "old school" frame of mind) still incorporate as much as they can into their classes, but I don't think they focus on the home sewing, cooking, etc. It's more about the economics of purchasing, etc. We taught that too along with the our lessons.

To go back to the question: My first sewing lessons were watching my mother choose fabric (or flour sacks), cut up the pieces (some with patterns and some with home made patterns), and sewing our garments. At twelve, I asked for a sundress, and my mom suggested I go over to my aunt's store and let her help me choose a pattern (Advance Patterns), fabric, zipper, and thread. I came home and she guided me through following the guide sheet. The sundress came out so nice that I wanted another one. So I returned to the store and chose another fabric. That dress would have been in vogue today -- it was lime green broadcloth. At the time I was in the seventh grade. In high school, I took home ec classes all four years. Then did four years of college. I taught only 1/2 year of home ec and then went to work at the vo-tech school in the nursing department. Taught nutrition and diet therapy for 4 years. Then went back to school to certify in elementary grades. I still use my home ec background every day ( at home and in the community).