View Single Post
Old 08-30-2011, 09:48 AM
margecam52

No, I taught myself to sew. My mom sewed, embroidered, cutwork, etc...but never taught my older sisters.
I needed a skirt took in and hemmed for school (it was my older sister's, and she was in Jr High...and I was in 3rd grade)..mom said to pin the side and get to school...she didn't feel like fixing the skirt for me...so I stayed home that day and took the sides of the skirt in and hemmed it. Sister was mad as anything...but I needed something to wear.
Mom said I did a pretty good job & I could do all my own sewing from then on. Those hand stitches were not real small...but I went over the side seams until they were close enough together (or looked like it on the outside) that I was decent.
I was 9 years old...after that, mom started letting me help her with her embroidery, cutwork, pulled work, etc. I think I was the only one of the 5 daughters she taught to embroider.
Dad bought her a sewing machine...she couldn't make it work...I loved that Kenmore with the straight/zigzag only stitches. Made lots of stuff with it.