View Single Post
Old 09-05-2011, 01:14 PM
arimuse

Originally Posted by jo-sews
Once you can pronounce Ya"all correctly....you are no longer considered Yankee.
well, y'all has replaced you guys in most sentences. When I got my first FT job down the road in Early Branch, first day, a girl ran into my office all excited cus "iz own an ah mashed an mashed the naob an it jez wown cut off! hep me"
I just stared at her and turned to the lead and asked her to translate. I'd only been here maybe 18 months. When it was the end of a long hard day the floor may as well been speaking Greek as English.
Now, a yr ago I was in a quilting group and people around me were talking in small bunches and I could hear bits and pieces of conversation, as I worked on own stuff, and suddenly it came to me at least 1 lady was speaking Gullah and I could understand most of it!
Thats acclimation! That, and getting used to the temps/humidity down here. First yr we were here I thought I would die from the heat as early as April (Buffalo, NY /WNY is not known for mild winters- )then, coming home on a Sat AM of work i thought I was a little warm, but glad I wore jeans that morning, and going thru town I saw a temp /clock and it was 103* out! so I knew I had found my stride. Now, I think it starts to get too cold when the temps drop under 60!
Also, I recognize the foods, lol - I know what "meat n three" means, and my most favorite favorite part of the Watermelon Festival is the Taste of Hampton. (also the dance downtown, I love Beach Music but dont shag :( )sharet