View Single Post
Old 09-06-2011, 08:30 AM
deplaylady

Originally Posted by debby wicke
Please some explain to me why the excitement over antique sewing machines. I don't understand.
They sew a straight stitch (perfect top stitching - have to see to believe!), can sew through just about anything, don't wear out, some of mine have a much larger harp space for quilting, the Fetherweight is so much lighter as a 'take with' machine - and I don't worry about messing up the computer. I can let my DGD sew on them without worrying about her messing up the computer or pushing all the buttons - easy to teach sewing on. I like how they look and how they are built. I do love my serger, I have a couple stitches on one machine (Janome) I absolutely love for crazy quilting, and I use the other with the embroidery for sewing as well as embroidery. But - I love the button holes I get with the old machines and the attachments! I can even use the straight stitching machines to machines to do fancy stitches with the attachments! I don't know - maybe vintage machines are something you either love or you don't. Oh another plus - I bought all my vintage machines, including the FW ($165) and another one 185J ($60) and the price added up to less than I'd spend on one newer sewing machine that are won't last and doesn't sew as well.