View Single Post
Old 09-06-2011, 05:36 PM
mamacool

Hi all! I'm new here and was just browsing the topics and the words "sensible stash" caught my eye. Now we ALL know that that phrase is such a LIE! From the day we bought our first yard of fabric, cut it, sewed it into something pretty and SAVED ALL THOSE PRETTY LITTLE PIECES, "sensible" went out the window. Am I a liar? I think not. LOL
I sort everything by fabric type (cotton, terry cloth, canvas...) then sort those by color and yardage amount. Anything fat quarter or smaller is sorted by color and put in those clear shoe boxes you can get for a dollar each right now.
I do the same with ribbon, buttons, safety pins, zippers, bias tape, purse hardware...yada, yada, yada. One thing that i do recommend is that you wash all fabric then iron it and fold it neatly. it will store flatter if it is folded. I fold mine just like it comes of the bolt - fewer crease lines
I have a forty year stash. It's really a fetish, an expensive habit (right up there with meth) and some days i just like to get all out and touch it and refold it and try to remember why the #!&# I bought it! lol I converted my large two car garage into a shop with shelves and work areas. If I'd been able to run water to it I would never have to come in!!!
there is as website called stashbusters where they are dedicated to making things out of your stash and not buying anything for a year