View Single Post
Old 09-08-2011, 06:57 AM
May in Jersey

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
All of the above, seems to me. When I was 9 my baby brother was about 8 months old. It was summer. I got him up, changed him, fed him, put him in a giganto old baby carriage and walked him to "town". I did this almost every weekday in the summer. No one thought this was odd and no one called child protection, and, nothing bad ever happened to us. Where was my mother? Sleeping in of course!
I'm the oldest of 7 and was my mothers full time helper, plenty taking care babies and younger brothers and sisters, food shopping, cooking, cleaning, never thought to complain as it was expected of me. I was the only child at the butchers early Sat. mornings with my list, money and food stamps (that was during WWII). After the meat was brought home I went to the fruit and veggie store, A&P and local grocery. Sometimes after lunch I would shop for my grandfather, he liked a cold cut called head cheese from the local pork store, and their pickled pigs feet too, ugh! Weekdays I did smaller shopping after school, usually for bread, milk and something for the night's dinner. Only difference is that my mother wasn't sleeping in although she did go to bed early with the younger kids and I would do the dishes and watch out for the other kids. I was 13 1/2 and had just begun high school when my mother had my sister Carol (5th child). I was left in charge of the family while she was gone for 4 days, couple of dinners didn't turn out too well but we managed. Father didn't get paid if he didn't work so I had to do it. Did the same when last 2 siblings were born although mother's hospital stays were shorter. By today's standards both my parents would be arrested for child abuse but I didn't feel abused it was just something you did for your family. Getting married and taking care of my own family and housewas a breeze after that.

May in Jersey