View Single Post
Old 09-08-2011, 07:42 AM
dunster
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SueSew
I was just reading Harriet Hargreaves book on machine quilting, and she say that in no uncertain terms bias binding is the best looking and she simply won't do anything else. However, I think she shows her own BIAS in that remark LOL

I have not read anything generally about bias binding wearing better, only its usefulness on curves.

However, I have read that setting the joins of the binding on the bias, not just joining the pieces end to end, is a more sturdy construction.
That's interesting. What is the date on your book? I have Harriet's book on Heirloom Machine Quilting, 4th edition, but I didn't find binding in the index. In the Art of Classic Quiltmaking (by Harriet Hargrave and Sharyn Craig), they say it's a personal preference and point out that bias binding, if improperly applied, can cause rippling along the edge, but that it is supposed to wear longer for the reasons I stated in my last post. (This book is probably where I learned that information to begin with.) It also says that Harriet doesn't use either true bias or straight grain, but cuts the fabric as it comes off the bolt rather than try to square it up with the grain, so it's only slightly on the bias. So... what I think has happened is that Harriet's preferences have changed with time.

It is better to join strips of binding on the bias because that results in less bulk in one spot when you fold the binding over. I didn't know that when I made my first quilts, so I can testify from first hand experience that the bulk caused by a straight join can make a bulge in the binding and be much more difficult to sew down.