Old 09-12-2011, 02:12 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SusieQuilter
Please help!!!!

I am working on cleaning my Singer 127 and the thumb screw that holds the presserfoot bar in place is frozen solid. Other than WD40 what is the best way to get it off???? Thanks!
Was it cross threaded?
Use a bit of liquid wrench then use a hair dryer for a while. Some times leaving it in the sun will help loosen things stuck down by oil build up. Some oils like WD40 and 3 in 1 oil seem to leave a residue so you'll need to clean it off with some kerosene. Some of the oils, solvents & chemicals will mess up the finish on your machine so be very careful. All that said. I prefer Triflow oil. I got some at a bicycle shop. It doesn't leave a residue. It gets in the tight places. Things run smooth after you use it. Some times you have to find a way to lay a machine so the hole you want oil to go down is horizontal. Some times your penetrating oil needs to soak, heat, turn, apply more, soak, heat, turn for a week before it will unlock. I wonder if it would be possible to fit a tin can or something in there to hold some kerosene for a few days. Be careful with the heat and solvents/oils. My sister is in Arizona. She swears by putting things in the sun.

You want to be careful if you have to use force. Bent shafts are hard to fix. Some times a screw is stuck by rust. If you suspect rust, soak on a bit of rust remover - then turn it if you can. Maybe you can find a small bit of leather or a rubber jar opener to help grip the screw. Some times I just don't have enough strength to get a screw out. DH usually does but I try all that first. If nothing else when he gets around to it and it goes easy he looks like a super hero and that doesn't hurt anything unless he goes at it with too much force.