View Single Post
Old 09-12-2011, 10:43 AM
Gerbie

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy
Today was a frustrating day! We had a lot of storms in the area - it was very dark, thunder, eventually we had hail and heavy rain.

When we have or are likely to have thunder storms, I not only don't use my sewing machine or computer, I unplug them from the power strips.

Am I overly cautious? I didn't get much done today!
I don't think so. When I bought my Bernina in '85 the owner of the LQS recommended that I unplug my machine after each use, getting into the habit. Because when we have rain here we usually have a bad lightening storm go with it. She said there had been a couple of ladies who had their machines damaged due to lightening striking and running through the wires to their machines. I know that this has happened to lots of people out here too many times over the years with t.v. sets due to lightening storms. So as a caution, because I really can't afford a new machine and do not want to have mine damaged, just because I don't want to take about 30 sec. to prevent it, I always unplug my machines and have for years. I have such a habit of doing so now, I will continue.
The choice is yours however, but I truly don't think you are being over cautious.