Old 09-13-2011, 08:03 AM
maryb44662

Originally Posted by jljack
My modern Brother machine had been very trouble free for the 18 months I have had it. It was great and had 80 decorative stitches, was a strong stitcher, etc. I had no complaints about it at all.

About 3 weeks ago it started acting really strange, tangling bobbin thread, breaking top thread at the feeddogs, not moving the fabric through right. I set it on the floor and took out my vintage Singer 301 and Featherweight and finished a couple of projects.

Last night DH helped me get the needle plate off to take a look. Well, goodness!! No wonder it was acting strange!! I realized not once had I taken that plate off, and every single nook, cranny, spring, space, crack, feeddog track and all was packed solid with lint.

DUH!!! I just hadn't thought about it, since it's a drop in bobbin in front of the foot.

SO....CLEAN YOUR MACHINE!! I should post that over my thread rack on the wall. Sorry, little Brother machine....I promise not to neglect you again!!
LOL....I have done that with my Bernina too. One day it just stopped sewing at all and I couldn't imagine what in the world was wrong. It was fairley new at the time too. I took the plate off and low & behold, the feed dogs were packed with lint. Now, I clean that area out every time I have to change the bobbin. We live and learn, don't we? Mary