View Single Post
Old 09-15-2011, 08:40 PM
auniqueview

Originally Posted by newell
It is true that many people working in fabric stores and other places that carry fabric, don't have a clue what fabric is all about, BUT please remember that there are those that really know their stuff. I worked for Joann's for about 5 years plus several other fabric store and also have been sewing since 6th grade, I know a lot about sewing but I don't claim to know everything. I would cringe when I saw someone cut 108" wide muslim instead of tearing it, or cut burlap instead of pulling a thread. Even people that have worked with fabric for years still make errors in their calculations --- I know I have. For all we know, the amount of fabric that she needed for her curtains did include her hem and header..... she may have been told by someone else other than the gal at Hobby Lobby what she needed. I guess what I'm saying is give the young sales gal a break --- it may have been her first day and was nervous as heck.
She will learn.
I have to admit that I was just in HL, and watched a woman buy two panels, and she did question why there was more material on one side than on the other. The girl who cut it told her because it wrapped around. I almost said something, but sadly chickened out. Frankly, if it had been my material, I would have made her recut it, but then, I can be a real witch. I feel bad that I didn't say something, but the woman seemed to think that was a reasonable answer. I guess she is going to put them back to back.

I know the woman at JoAnn's thought I was crazy when I bought a piece of fabric printed with blocks of owls and flowers, and showed her EXACTLY where I wanted it cut, lol. No, you can't cut it by the yard, and NO, I do not want more, lol. I want this much, thank you. I don't care how much it is a yard.