View Single Post
Old 09-20-2011, 04:02 PM
IAmCatOwned

I'm excellent at throwing away crumbs and scraps. I don't save crumbs, ever, and I go through my scrap box whenever it gets full or once a year. I cut through everything using preplanned projects as my guide and if it doesn't fit with any preplanned projects, the rest goes. I stopped saving the 1.5 inch squares and will stop saving the 2 inch squares when I finish the current scrap project (hearts quilt which is my current leader/ender project).

Examples: scraps get cut into apple cores, drunkdard's path, 2.5 inch strips, 2 inch strips, 1.5 inch strips, 2 7/8 inch squares/triangles and 1.5x4 inch pieces. What's left over is tossed. In future, strips smaller than 2.5 inches and larger than 1.5 inches will just go into a box to trade with someone.

I have a box of orphan blocks. Eventually, I think, I will have enough for a quilt to tie and donate to a nursing home. However, I keep giving away blocks to someone who needs 'just one more' to finish their own orphan block quilt, so the box never actually gets full.