View Single Post
Old 09-22-2011, 08:11 AM
sguillot

Do you have a website? I'll bet you would get plenty of customers from here.
Originally Posted by ThayerRags
Here in rural SW Oklahoma, we usually don’t cut FQs until someone asks for one, and then we’ll cut and sell a single FQ from any one of our bolts of fabrics. Each FQ is priced at 1/4 of the price on the bolt of fabric. Since we have to cut two to get one, we’ve started a small stock of “orphan” FQs and they’re all different prices depending on what the price of the bolt was when the first FQ was sold. Once in a while, we’ll order a FQ bundle or two and price them close to suggested retail, but we prefer to handle yardage.

We’re a small “Mom & Pop” shop with no employees to have to pay for cutting them, so that makes a difference in what we have to charge. Also, we’re off the beaten path far enough that we usually have time to cut FQs when asked, so we don’t see the need to have them precut. When a carload of quilters rolls in and starts packing bolts of fabric to the cutting table for FQs, they are usually ok with having to wait while it’s done. Plus, they get to watch them get cut. It’s kind of “FQs cut to order”.

I once cut a FQ from a bolt of canvas for a customer. She needed a small piece the size of a FQ for a project, so I cut it for her. We’ve cut 3” strips and other widths of fabric, including our $1/yard sale fabric, for customers several times. It’s just another thing that we can do to help the customer along with their project.

CD in Oklahoma