View Single Post
Old 07-03-2009, 11:20 AM
Granny B

The JoAnn's close to my house closed in February (4 blocks away) and moved to a Super JoAnn's location about 30 minutes away. I bought approximately 1.5K yards of cotton at 70 to 90% off during the 4 month sell-down. On the final day I took everything left that I could use at $.15 a yard (another 2.5K yards). I also bought all the ribbon for $.05 a spool. There were no "dreg" fabrics in either batch, and the last group included some home furnishing fabrics that I can use for other things (maybe 100 yards). Those I'll use for Walker Bags for the Veterans. The cottons will go for quilts and patient bags for them.
I wasn't fond of putting that kind of money out in such a short time, but because I fund my own sewing for the Vets it was worth it. I lived pretty lean those months while I was buying all that fabric. But sure glad I did it.
I'm not happy with the new "Super" store. It's mostly crafts and the fabric section is smaller in proportion to what was in the old store. I don't have a problem with the fabrics because if I want quilt shop quality, I expect to pay more. I find that even in the LQS I have to look carefully at the quality of the fabric now. The only other fabric store in the area is Hancocks and the store has a musty odor, and most of the ladies who work there are anything but friendly.
So, I will remain faithful to JoAnn's where everyone is friendly and helpful, and still has the best coupons around. They honor Michael's and A.C.Moore's coupons, and if the item is on sale already, they even give me my AQS discount.
I don't believe they're going out of business any time soon. My two cents - for what it's worth.