View Single Post
Old 09-23-2011, 03:34 AM
be a quilter

Originally Posted by ckcowl
some shops insist that fq's should add up to more than the yardage price- because they are paying someone to cut them-(the convienience you pay for for not cutting them yourself)
i asked one time---well why doesn't it cost more if i have to cut a 1/4 yard for someone at the cutting table then?
boy the daggers that flashed! :)
and she took a breath and said- well fq's have to be folded a certain way too- it takes more time- - -
i learned to not ask many questions of the owner in this shop (i worked in for over a year:) )
i still wonder though---how you can go through and raise your prices 30% then post signs all over for a HUGE 20% OFF SALE!!!
some people are (business people) not quilters-and they are there to make money
but bottom line is- pre-cuts cost more than yardage because it costs someone to PRE-CUT and we pay for the convienience-it saves us time-not money
Unless they hired someone to just cut fat quarters all day, that doesn't wash. They hire employees to do various things throughout the day and they do not break it down to individual tasks. And the mark up of 30% and then have a sale for 20% is just plain dishonest. Old saying, buyer beware has never been more true!!! I would not give that shop any of my business and would let everyone I know what they are about.