View Single Post
Old 09-25-2011, 05:48 AM
jaciqltznok
Banned

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin
At one of the quilt stores I used to go to all the time, they told me that they had many many customers who came in and asked for help in picking out fabrics for a quilt, then the LQS cut out the fabric for them to sew. When it was pieced, they brought it back and it was longarmed. They had many quilts already cut out for people to buy. They would have old patterns like Log Cabin or Dresdan plate, whatever you wanted and they would be in various color combinations. Absolutley beautiful. The owner of the store spent hours each day cutting out fabric for others, said she loved doing it. I think there is a need for cutting as well as color/fabric selection.
that is called JOB security..hehehe

I do not have a shop but I do LOVE to pick the fabrics for kits. Something I learned while working at a shop in Alaska that made up kits.
I think there is definitely a niche in doing the cutting for people!
I do really accurate cutting, but do have two die cutters as well! One of my dies sets is the entire 12" block collection from Accuquilt. I have the book and can cut out hundreds of different quilt patterns just using that!

I have found that if the older ladies like the quilt pattern, they are not as picky about the fabric choices. Though I do a really good job of putting that together as well!

I showed some elderly ladies at the retirement home last night 6 different kits I had cut out. THey loved them all! They also loved my baby quilts. Very simple layout with die cut shapes in every other block...super simple and already to go!
Some like fusible and some don't so I just die the fusible web and they can either buy it or skip it!

Now to figure out how to market this idea!