View Single Post
Old 09-26-2011, 06:37 AM
Maia B

I have a 7510 (sewing only and a step down from the 7550) that I bought this year for $600 from Brubakers in PA, via their eBay store. I had always wanted a Pfaff 7550 in the 1990's, but couldn't afford one. It's a great machine! I've often heard the 7500 series described as the best Pfaffs ever, and they were among the last German-made Pfaffs. Super stitch quality, love the IDT. Few things to consider: the motherboard may go and cost hundreds to repair or replace, if a replacement can even be found (Pfaff is now owned by a company that also owns Singer and Viking). A flood at the Pfaff factory years ago ruined large inventories of replacement parts. Personally, I find the manual deficient. I've learned to use other machines from just the manual, but I've had a harder time with this one. Unless you are getting a dealer warranty, are you comfortable spending $1000 on a machine that might go ffffftzz the day after you buy it? There are some comparable sewing-only machines with IDT for around $1000. The new Pfaff Ambition line, the Pfaff Smarter C1100 Pro (9" harp!), and the Pfaff Expression 2.0 (10" harp, recently discontinued, but still avail), and Baby Lock Quest Plus and it's successor, the Serenade. It was nice for me to have the nostalgia of sewing on my former dream machine, but I think $1000 is too much for a 15+ year old computerized machine that might not be repairable. I'll likely sell my 7510 soon, as I have other machines which offer the same functions.