View Single Post
Old 09-26-2011, 07:38 AM
Havplenty

ditto. there was a news special about these dogs and they have not been successful rehabbing them into family dogs because of the ptsd.

what would you petition congress to do for these dogs? just curious. to have them sent to a shelter is probably not feasible because the shelters are full with pets from people who have lost their homes in this recession. the no kill facilities have so many animals they are having difficulty caring for them all. who is going to pay for the rehab for these dogs which is sure to be expensive? what type facility would you suggest for them to live out their lives?

with so many people made jobless and homeless by this recession and the numbers of vets returning from service who are badly injured and not getting the mental & physical care they need to survive, with congress ready to cut the safety net from underneath the very vunerable in this country, with millions of people who have lost their health care, i would rather see efforts made to help these people.

i know we are a animal loving society and hate to see any animals suffer, but i hate more seeing families living in their cars because they have no where to go, no savings left, no job options. i would rather not see these dogs suffer the remainder of their lives with pstd, being doped up with drugs just to make it through another day. this is just mho.

Originally Posted by ncredbird
Unfortunately many of these dogs suffer from PTSD as do their comrades in service. I suspect that they would be hard to place for adoption but that doesn't make them any less deserving. It may be a liability issue on the part of the armed services. We saw something on the national news about returning service dogs not long ago and the efforts being made to try to deprogram them. Unfortunately the outlook wasn't very good. Ann in TN