View Single Post
Old 09-27-2011, 10:05 AM
paulina

Originally Posted by FroggyinTexas
Originally Posted by jeank
I witnessed a strange incident in Joann's recently and wondered if it is their policy.

One of the clerks was leaving the store as her child was soon due home on the school bus. She went over to another clerk and opened her purse, the second clerk peeked into it, and on the girl went.

Is it the policy to search employees as they leave? Do they think the employee is stealing the store in her purse? I do realize that employee theft is a big problem with retailers, but I thought this display was over the top, and in front of customers.

Just wondering,
Jean
I am a little less than mildly amused at the docile public acceptance of these store policies. It is a safe bet that if government were requiring these searches, the cry would be totalitariansim! Why are we so willing to let businesses violate basic Fourth Amendment rights by searching our personal possessions without probable cause?
froggyintexas
Well in the example of the government, it IS a violation of your 4th Amendment rights and people should be crying out over it.

But, the 4th Amendment only applies to actions of the government. A buisness demanding to look through your bags is not at all a violation of your 4th Amendment rights. That is not to say you wouldn't be right in claiming violation of personal privacy, but its not a violation of the amendment against illegal search and seizure.