View Single Post
Old 10-01-2011, 07:46 AM
patdesign

Originally Posted by GGJudy
Originally Posted by patdesign
Originally Posted by GGJudy
Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Batiks shouldn't shrink since they've been boiled to remove the wax resist. Batiks may shed excess dye but that's only a problem if another fabric picks it up permanently. On most fabrics even if they pick up some excess dye in the wash it's still not set and will wash out of whatever picks it up.

I don't pre-wash.
I recently gently prewashed batik 2.5 " strips in my sink and laid them out on towels to dry. Some shrunk (widthwise) and some did not. Next time I won't prewash!
Prewash fabric before cutting, then you won't have this problem, think how upsetting it would be in the qult thats finished and is all wonky! :-D
I had purchased a jellyroll of spring green batik fabrics, and followed the directions for the suggested prewashing. Makes me wonder if I should repwash precut squares and/or strips.
Well, that makes me wonder about the resource, I have some Moda pre cut 5 inch charms that I am planning to wash, but havent figured out best way yet and not quite ready to start that project. I would be devastated if they shrank at a different rate, I think at this point it would be worth contacting the mfgr for an explanation or possible refund. Good Luck :-D