View Single Post
Old 10-04-2011, 03:43 PM
ottermomDebbie

My favorite thimble is one I would call ‘clunky’ but pretty. I got it at a sew expo years ago. It has an open top for a fingernail and lots of design work that really helps to control the needle. I keep a roll of double-sided tape with my hand sewing things. The tape can be found at almost any good grocery store. An inch piece placed around the finger to use the thimble works great. I sometimes put a layer inside the thimble. The thimble travels in a little coin purse with Thread Heaven or bees wax.
I keep a small balloon for pulling the needle through tough areas.
I like to hand sew with Aurifil thread. I thread a whole package of needles on the end of the thread; place double-sided tape on the top knob of the spool and wind the 5”-6”+ end of thread around the tape to hold in place. It lets me get a new length of thread ready to sew and not worry about getting a needle threaded. A small pair of scissors (airline friendly) stays with this kit.
Trying new things is often “clumsy”. We didn't walk the first time we stood to try. It just takes practice, practice and more practice. If one method doesn’t work, try others.
Many thanks for all the great ideas shared on this site ! :-)