View Single Post
Old 10-09-2011, 03:54 PM
Suse

Originally Posted by moreland
Originally Posted by sushi
While I've not used it as backing, I've used fleece as batting a couple of times when I've needed to produce an ultra-warm quilt. It's worked beautifully.

While some think fleece is too expensive to use as batting, remember that because it's encased between the top and the backing, you can use the cheapest stuff available. (I have a "Mill End Textiles" near me where I bought a remnant at ~$3/yd.)
I've used it for a long time--without batting, it makes a nice weight for couch throws or baby blankets. Mothers like the blankets because they don't move around on carpet when the baby begins to crawl, etc. I like to use the backing as self-binding--just pulling it to the front and stitching down with a decorative stitch. When using without batting, I try to use heavier weight. I often find really nice, heavy weight at Walmarts for 3-4 dollars a yard--It is not consistent so have to look for the heavier if that is what you want. The light stuff would be good as batting.
Thanks for the tip. I'd like to use the fleece backing as binding, but don't know how to do this. How much do you extend it from the front? Isn't it kind of thick? I was thinking of just birthing it. Any suggestions?