View Single Post
Old 10-13-2011, 06:14 AM
amandasgramma

Originally Posted by daisydebby
Thanks for showing so many outstanding quilting designs...truly inspirational. Such beautiful work. Thanks for all of the tips, too. If you wouldn't mind, could you please let all of us know what book(s) you recommend for better quilting? Thanks so much:)!!
thank you!!!

Gosh -- books -- well, I do buy books to look at, I also look at the quilting magazines that show the drawings of the longarm stitching (usually at the end of the directions for certain quilts). I also took a class from Myrna Fricken and I belong to another forum called www.mqresource.com. They offer videos and classes online. Also - they have pictures of finished quilts that inspire me every day. Many of the people on that forum are winners at big quilt shows, etc. Check out YOUTUBE.com and do a search for "quilting" or "longarm" --- you'll learn (I did). Even the videos there that are strictly for selling something for longarmers, they usually demonstrate. I started watching how they moved -- which way they move, etc.

Other than that, I practice practice practice.....and then I practice some more. I have made so many dog blankets I think the local humane society cringes when they see me coming!!!!

The two books I turn to most are:

Easy Machine quilting -- even though it's basically for sewing machine quilting, I find a lot of information works for both longarm and sewing machine quilting

ABCs of Longarm Quilting --- this one is my bible!!!