Thread: SO BUMMED :(
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2011, 07:21 AM
diane9617

Agree with this technique..... and would like to add to it.

I pin baste all three layers. Yes, use a lot of pins!!! Then, I set my machine to the longest basting stitch and attach my walking foot and use wash away basting thread in the needle and bobbin to baste my quilt in a grid pattern. Stitching vertical and horizontal straight lines about 4" apart. I am not picky about how the basting grid looks, I just get it basted and take the pins out during this process. Yes, it is an additional step, but I cannot tolerate quilting with all those pins in my way!

When I quilt it, I puddle it under the needle area, as others have said. I really refer to this as making a nest. That is what it looks like to me....a nest, and I stitch in the "nest" area. Rolling the quilt never really worked for me as it felt like a big log in my way.

I like to select a Quilt design that will allow me to do continuous curves. With this kind of quilting design, I can still use my walking foot. I do mark my quilt before layering and pin basting it together. I use circle templates or oval templates to help me mark these lines. Washable crayola markers work great. If I am just doing straight line stitching, I usually don't have to mark every line.

Take your time....ENJOY the process! That is what we are supposed to do right!?! LOL!

You have a beautiful quilt and it will only become more and more beautiful as you get it quilted.

Oh, I do wash my quilts after they are quilted and the binding has been applied. This washes out all of the crayola marker and the basting thread. I only use a very tiny amount of detergent. I do not dry the quilt in the dryer. I lay it on my bed and let it air dry for the day.

Originally Posted by Yvonne
I've not read all the comments here and I'm sure you've received some excellent advice. I'll tell you what I've finally figured out to do for me.
First I move my sewing machine into the dining room and butt it up against the dining table. More surface for the quilt to rest on when I'm running it through the machine. Less drag on the quilt! Then I put a card table to the left of my chair to also support the quilt. I don't roll the quilt. I found that made a very hard lump of fabric that was just too hard to push around. Instead I scrunch the fabric into the throat of the machine until I get to the point that I'm going to start the quilting.
The best advice I have received is to then only worry about the fabric that is going under the needle. Let the rest of the quilt take care of itself.
The final advice I have. PLAY! I give myself permission to just have fun with the quilt. If it's not perfect, well, perhaps the next one will be. If I'm not having fun chances are I won't make another quilt and I do want to make more quilts. Each one is better than the last (usually!).
I hope some of this has helped. Go have some fun now.
P.S. You're quilt is lovely!