Old 10-20-2011, 05:43 AM
Sharoni

Usually, I hold to the tradition of fixing a turkey and all the trimmings, play games, visit, invite lonely friends in. We have noticed our families no longer treasures the traditions much as we did and sometimes one family cannot make it for valid reasons. This year two families cannot make it for valid reasons. The younger generation grandkids come eat and go off to somewhere else. I'm older now,it is a lot of work, and I want the focus to be thankfulness for our blessings, so this year we are having grilled cheese for Jesus. Our families are Christian, and with so many people in distress because of the economy, tornadoes, etc. we will help at the food kitchen that feeds the public.
We will give each family member the money to donate to their favorite charity or church, money that the meal and trimmings would usually cost here at the house.
We will still be in town, those who come will still visit and have a nice time and a few desserts. But the focus will not be stuff ourselves, shop, watch tv, fall asleep, run all over trying to get to in-laws,other grandparents, etc.
We think as the oldest of them all, we should still continue to set an example. We are thankful to Jesus for His sacrifice and do not mind making some ourselves as He modeled.