Old 07-22-2009, 11:51 AM
MerryCrafty

Thanks to many of you who have commented on my new machine choice, I'm getting closer. I think I have narrowed it down to these two machines:

Babylock Designer's Choice (around $800 - comes with a bunch of feet and knee lift and lots of features)
or
Viking Emerald 183 (some of the same features, fewer feet, no knee lift, around $600, but will probably need a $100 walking foot)

The Babylock will cost me more but offers a bunch of additional stuff (auto thread cutter, in addition to the knee lift, etc). These are both computerized machines and seem to have a lot in common, but the Babylock is more complicated for sure. The Viking sews a nice stitch but the saleswoman had a number of problems in demoing it for me, so that put me off!

What do you think? Could anyone who has used or owned one (or both) of these machines give me some feedback? Or if you have advice about the brands more generally, that would also be good...

This will be a tough decision since I want something I can use for a number of years to make quilts and some home dec/accessories (bags, pouches, pillows, etc). I cannot afford a wide-harp machine though they look very nice.

Thanks so much!