View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 03:07 AM
sewcrafty

Originally Posted by littlehud
Do I use one or two strands of thread? Do I need a hoop or can I do it loose with the layers basted? These are just a couple questions I came up with but I'm sure you all have lots of tips on all areas of hand quilting. I have a few weeks before I start quilting it so give me all the advice you can. Thanks.
Use 1 strand of thread. I also use beeswax on my thread to assist in the thread not knotting up on me. You can get a little one of these at JoAnn's or a similiar place and just run your thread across the top of it.

When I started hand quilting I purchased some Tiger Tape. It comes in different stitch lengths. I started with the 9 per in one. I made myself a sandwich and laid the tape on it and went up and down at the marks. It sort of teaches you the rythym that you need. Then make gentle curves and such and just get the feel. To this day if I haven't hand quilting in a while, I'll make up my sandwich and play to start the rythym again. :D

I do use a hoop on my lap I do find it easier. I spray baste and pin at the borders and all has been fine. When you are going to put your quilt in a hoop remember its not suppose to be tight at all. You need some play in there. I put my fist under the hoop and push up to make sure that I have enough slack in there. The tighter the quilt is the harder it is to quilt it, but I can't not use a hoop.

I hope this helps you out.