Old 10-25-2011, 04:32 PM
MissyGirl

I am curious if anyone has participated in the Bountiful Baskets food program? I just ordered my basket to be picked up Saturday. This is what is in my basket:

Conventional Basket
50% Fruit, 50% Vegetables and 100% healthy, delicious & fun

In the conventional basket we focus our buying as follows: High Quality, Low Cost and As Local as Possible… So, how hard do we try? Pretty hard! Most bananas are from Central America or the Carribean and are grown by a couple gargantuan conglomerate growers. We get all of our bananas from small farmers in central Mexico. This saves the co-op between $4 and $7 a box, keeps money with small farmers, and helps keep the carbon footprint small.

100% Certified Organic Basket

Valencia Oranges - Approximately 113 Count and 36 pounds box from Mexico. Can’t wait to enjoy these. They are beautiful and the last of the crop for the year. Don’t let that fool you though the quality is fantastic with very high sugar content!

Fuji Apples - Approximately 100 Count and 36 pound box from Washington State. Perfect for pie, eating, or sauce. Fuji apples are versatile and one of the best eats out there!

Tropical Pack – hoping for 2 vanilla beans, pineapple, plantains, mango, papaya, lime, fresh mint – A fun way to try a couple fruits you ordinarily wouldn’t have the opportunity to try without breaking the bank. Plus those vanilla beans just are so sensational!

Bountiful Baskets Granola – two pounds. Love this over granola and ice cream, as breakfast cold or cooked, or as a snack called broken cookie!

Ingredients: Oats, Honey, canola oil, roasted & salted cashews, dates, diced pineapple, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, sliced almonds, and almond & vanilla flavor.

9 Grain Sandwich Bread – five loaves. Our delicious standby of 9 Grain bread. This is the best toasted!

Ingredients: Wheat Flour, Organic Whole Grain Wheat Flour, Water, Honey, Rye Flakes, Barley, Oats, Vital wheat gluten, cracked wheat, corn, rye, millet, flax seed, sea salt, yeast. Contains: Wheat.

Honey Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread – five loaves! Delicious whole wheat bread with a sweet honey finish. Perfect for peanut butter and jelly!

Ingredients: 100% Whole Grain Wheat Flour, Water, Honey, Cultured Wheat Flour, Vinegar, Salt, Yeast, Natural Enzymes. Contains: Wheat

These are the extras I bought in addition to the conventional basket:

Veggie Lovers Pack - Italian Theme - Add extra veggies to your basket! Making dinnertime fun!
(Max 5)
$8.50 ea

Fuji Apples - Approx 40 Lb from Washington State
(Max 5)
$24.00 ea

Roma Tomatoes from Mexico - Approx 25 Lb box
(Max 5)
$13.00 ea

Fruit Lovers Pack - Add an additional pack of fruit to your regular basket!
(Max 5)

If yall are interested I can post the link to their site. This is a nationwide program and you can read through the different locations where baskets can be picked up.

I thought this was a good deal for our family. We are going to cook up the tomatoes and all the herbs and veggies for sauce we can freeze. The apples are going to be sliced and seasoned for pie, crisps and sauce.

I am curious about what you guys think about this!

Missy

PS: Shucks! I can't wait so I decided to just post the link. LOL!!

http://www10.bountifulbaskets.org/