View Single Post
Old 10-27-2011, 06:38 AM
Jersey Gal

I make chicken soup just about every week during the winter months. This is how my Polish grandmother made chicken soup. Using a large stock pot, rinse and place chicken in pot. Cover with cold water and place on stove with a moderate flame under pot. While water is coming to a boil, prepare potatoes, carrots, celery, and one onion. (I use a whole onion, and discard later.) As soup is coming to a boil, skim off any fat, and discard. Place carrots, celery, and onion in pot along with 6 or seven chicken bouillons, parsley, salt and pepper. Cook at a low boil for 35 minutes, then add potatoes, and continue to cook 25 minutes more. (Soup cooks for a total of one hour.)
I use PA Dutch noodles, and make rice too. Sometimes I make homemade dumplings in place of the noodles.
I have memories of Grandmom kneading the dough for noodles. She'd roll the dough out and hang it on a thin cotton rope. After all the dough was rolled out, she'd take the dough from the lines, cut into rows, stack the rows, and like magic, she cut the rows down into strips of noodles. She would then cook the noodles in a pot of salted, boiling water.