Old 10-27-2011, 03:21 PM
drgranny

My dads relative Charles Esdress Burns was shanghied someplace in Scottland and eventually ended up in the US. Do not know what his real name was because he changed his name when he volunteered in General Braddock's army in the Revolutionary War. He spent the winter at Valley Forge. In what little reserch I have done, there were lots of Burns' in the northern states. My dad was born in Ohio and I still have lots of relatives there. His dad, Charles L. Burns invented the first incendental clutch that was used in automobiles for many many years. Of course he didn't patten it. My dad had a little lawn mower shop in Bluffton, Ohio when I was little and he claims that he invented the first power lawnmower. He didn't patten it cause he didn't think that anyone would be interested in it. (this is what he claimed) He died 6 yrs ago at the age of 102.

Don't know to much about my moms family. She was Penn. Dutch. She was born in Indiana. The only thing I know about her family that is interesting is that her people, back several generations from her, were Dunkards. Who I think are an offshoot of Amish, Mennonites, don't know for sure. The research I did say that the Dunkerds are from The north countries, like Norway/Holland, and were called the "Annabaptist" I didn't read a lot of the info cause it is really boring.