Thread: Guilds
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2011, 05:58 AM
kateyb

I belong to 2 guilds, one meets in the morning and one in the evening. The morning group has over 200 members, the evening has almost 100. I like them both for different reasons. The guilds bring in good speakers and teachers. I take the classes when I can afford to, about twice a year. One has a yearly retreat, both have once a year classes of members teaching members which has a minimal cost.
When I first started quilting the thing I liked most about meetings was "show and tell". It gave me ideas about color, designs, fabric combinations, and sometimes a skill to shoot for.
I also belong to a small group of ladies who meet once a month to sew all day. There are about 14 of us. Usually there are about 8 - 10 who come. It is a great chance to get to know them a little better. We share ideas, teach each other, etc. and generally have a good time. Probably the closest thing to an old fashioned quilting bee.
I have a tendency to be a hermit so being around others is good for me. Although, since DH retired I'm not alone so much. It is still good to spend time with friends who have the same interests.