Old 10-29-2011, 06:26 AM
Sierra

You bet! I grew up in the country (didn't most of us over 50 yrs old?) and 4-H was the focal of our lives. I begged so hard when I was 6 (you had to be 7 to be in 4-H) to have an animal my dad finally "sold" me a pig to raise and my older brother was bummed that he had to carry the slop down to it because I was too little to lift the bucket! I raised, in the 4-H program, sheep, pigs and steers, selling them all off at the end, crying right beside the big 16 year olds when I sold my lambs (they are like house pets!).

Also learned to sew in 4-H and sewed my kids "good" clothes until they were about 12 (boys' as well as girls' outfits). Made my own clothes until I began teaching when I was about 30 and simply didn't have the time anymore. After retiring I fell into quilting.

Oddly, when my kids were growing up we lived about 80 miles away, over the Cascades, and there was no 4-H program at all. So, both DH and I ended up as scout leaders. That was fun and good for the kids, but the life long learning was totally different. Keeping records in 4-H was really important, and juggling the cost of purchase and upkeep really did help prepare one for life, as did the selling of our animals!