Old 10-29-2011, 08:46 PM
cloverbud

I have read every reply to this question, because 4-H is and has always been very important to me. I am so glad to read that is has been vital in so many of yours as well. I am a recently retired County Extension 4-H Agent. In our state 4-H is conducted in the 4th-12th grade (9-19 year olds). In some counties the 4-H cloverbuds program is offered for younger youth.

The 4-H program is conducted out of the land-grant university in every state. 4-H is supposed to be available also on every U.S. military base around the world.

As a 4-H Agent, my goal was for the youth to gain knowledge, develop life skills and become strong leaders and citizens. To help me accomplish this, a variety of projects areas were utilized such as outdoor skills, aerospace, animal science, nutrition, computers, forestry, public speaking, community service, etc. Using their interest I would try to provide activities, workshops, educational programs, trips, etc. for them to learn and develop those skills and gain leadership.

The best part of being a 4-H'er is developing friendships, working with your family, gaining confidence, being given leadership opportunities and having fun.

"Learn by doing" is the 4-H club slogan.
"Make the Best Better" is the 4-H motto.
The four H's stand for Head, Heart, Hands and Health

4-H Pledge
I pledge my head to clear thinking,
my heart to greater loyalty,
my hands to larger service and
my health to better living,
for my club,my community, my country and my world.

Now that I am retired . . . I am a 4-H volunteer! My daughter has 120 4-H members in her club and I helped her conduct several workshops last week.