Old 10-29-2011, 09:26 PM
lgmdonna

I don't remember 4h being offered at my schools when I was growing up. However my kids are all involved. My oldest started in 4th grade in GA and then we moved to SC. We found the 4H BaaRamEweths Lamb club and were hooked. We have showed lambs since 2005 and my oldest is graduating hs this year. 4H led her into FFA in high school. My other 3 kids fell in line behind her. We have tried the Swine project but no one liked it. We have raised and shown 4 flocks of chickens, took a 1 year break but I have talked the 2 younger girls into doing it again next year. My kids have done presentation projects and found that they either liked or DISLIKED public speaking. My #3 dd , who is mildly mentally challenged, competed at the state level in presentation/ public speaking and received a red ribbon! Now that my oldest is graduating we see our sheep projects fading. However, my 2 younger girls are asking about showing dairy goats. There is no dairy goat club so what does Mom do? Why, I ask our local goat soap maker if she would be interested in co-sponsoring a new club with me. = ) My kids have also taken jelly making class and bee keeping. My son was in Livestock Judging for 1 year. My oldest dd went to national competition in Louisville,KY with the 4H Skill a thon team. All of my girls have been in GS and all (3) have dropped out. My son has lost interest in all things animals and ramped up in sports, band and boy scouts. My kids are 17, 14, 12 ,9 & 18 mo. I don't see us getting out of 4h anytime soon.