View Single Post
Old 10-31-2011, 03:55 AM
Cottage Dee

Originally Posted by catrancher
I took the class just to see if it was something I wanted to pursue. The jury is still out on that question, but I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I'm not happy with the hoop I have, and so suggestions would be appreciated. Also, I couldn't figure out how to rock the needle at all, and so it's strictly stab stitching. That's the way I embroider too. Maybe I'm not cut out for anything else.
i

Your quilting is great. Looks wonderful. Nice job. I began hand quilting on small projects like that, and it gets better with each project! I use a pvc-type hoop from Joann's, and I tried the size 12 betweens needle, but they kept breaking on me, so I use #11. I found the smaller the needle, the smaller the stitches became, so that's why I settled on the #11. When you hooped it up, did you punch down the center to relax the quilt in the hoop? That makes it so you can "rock" the needle, straight down, and then straight up, and so forth...I had a lovely lady show me how to hand quilt, couldn't get my arms around the technique, then after a bit started practicing.. Don't give up take baby steps!