View Single Post
Old 11-03-2011, 04:48 AM
Scissor Queen

Originally Posted by BKrenning View Post
The brand of invisible thread really does make a difference and I also would choose poly over nylon. Some types are wound differently and need to be mounted horizontally (embroidery thread spools) and some of the invisibles. If you don't have a horizontal mount, you can try putting it behind your machine in a coffee mug or mason jar to control the lashing if it is a problem. Getting the tension set right just takes patience and some machines just won't play well with the "slick" invisibles.
It should only come off the end of the spool if it's a cross wound thread. If it's a stack wound thread it should come off the side of the spool. I don't think I've seen an invisible thread that is a cross wound. It's easy to tell the difference between cross and stack wound spools. Cross wound crosses over itself and stack doesn't. Most invisible thread behaves better if it maintains a little tension as it comes off the spool. When you let it come off the top of the spool and relax it gets unruly and starts twisting up and pooling around the bottom of the spool.