Thread: Singer 403a
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2011, 07:33 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bmanley View Post
I have this same machine and my husband bought mine at an auction for $5.00. Mine sews great after I cleaned, oiled her up but it will only straight stitch. It has a cam for zig zag but can't get it to work but for the money they are great, heavy and NOT plastic. good luck with it.
Take a very careful look at thepolyparrot's last picture - jiggle that piece on the needle bar and see if it will go side to side. If it doesn't move freely, you need to clean that part - then follow that arm over to the cam reader. Under the reader there is another little part that moves side to side just like that one on the needle bar. Clean it up too - try denatured alcohol very carefully and it should un-gunk your machine. You will have to paint it on, jiggle it back and forth and paint some more on. My sister uses a panty liner to absorb excess alcohol as she goes. Also do you have it set for width? 5 would be the widest 1 the narrowest. Do you have a manual? http://www.using-sewing-machines.com/Singer403.html Those are a bit tricky to work if you don't have a manual.

Last edited by miriam; 11-06-2011 at 07:37 AM.