View Single Post
Old 07-30-2009, 09:04 AM
JoanneS

When I was a newly-wed, I had the notion that I would like to make a special bedspread, but I had no idea what method I would use. I learned how to do crewel embroidery, but I never made a bedspread using it. I learned needlepoint, but that wouldn't work. I dabbled in a lot of crafts, none of which lasted long. Meanwhile, we bought a gorgeous bedspread in Spain.

In 1972, I saw an article about quilted pillows in McCalls. My DD's 4 poster bed needed a bedspread, so I used one of those blocks as a model, and machine pieced and quilted a quilt for her for Christmas - not very well - but it was my first attempt - I posted a picture of it buried under 'stuff' in my sewing room. Still buried.

In 1973, a friend and I took a quilting lesson from Applachian women the next spring, and I was hooked. She wasn't. No matter that it was applique, and I rarely have done applique. I fell in love with the GRAPHIC beauty of quilts and never looked back. My second quilt was the long long-for quilt for DH's and my bed. Storm-at-Sea. Hmmmm - I never thought about it before, but that quilt is rather appropriate, though, so far, our marriage has lasted 47 years. It started while he was on cruise with the Navy. He sent me a ticket to follow the cruise, and we wed in Yokohama.