View Single Post
Old 07-30-2009, 09:10 AM
JoanneS

When I was a newly-wed, I had the notion that I would like to make a special bedspread, but I had no idea what method I would use. I learned how to do crewel embroidery, but I never made a bedspread using it. I learned how to make latchhook rugs, and I dyed my own material. I learned needlepoint. I dabbled in a lot of crafts, none of which lasted long. Meanwhile, we bought a gorgeous bedspread in Spain.

In 1972, I saw an article about quilted pillows in McCalls. My DD's 4 poster bed needed a bedspread, so I used one of those blocks as a model, and machine pieced and quilted a quilt for her for Christmas - not very well - but it was my first attempt - I posted a picture of it buried under 'stuff' in my sewing room. Still buried.

In 1973, friend and I took a quilting lesson from Applachian women the next spring, and I was hooked. She wasn't. No matter that it was applique, and I rarely have done applique. I fell in love with the GRAPHIC beauty of quilts and never looked back. My second quilt was the long long-for quilt for DH's and my bed. Storm-at-Sea.