View Single Post
Old 11-21-2011, 04:20 PM
pattyrg

Thought I posted this already, but can't find it. It's from a column I wrote for my local newspaper. Enjoy!

CHEESY POTATO SOUP

Potatoes
1 lb. bacon
2 cups shredded cheese
1 cup chopped onions

Cut up the bacon into pieces about ½ inch wide, width of the bacon strip, Stirring often, cook the bacon until it’s a nice brown color, but not crisp. Remove to a paper towel to drain.

Add the chopped onions to the bacon fat and cook until clear or lightly browned. Removed to a paper towel to drain.

Peel and cut into 1 inch pieces enough potatoes to fill a 4-quart or larger pot. Add just enough water to cover the potatoes. The volume of potatoes and water in the pot will be about the amount of soup one will end up with.

Being to a boil and cook until the chunks are fork tender but firm and remove from heat. Do not drain.

Remove about 1/3 to ½ of the potato chunks and a little water from the pot into a blender and whip until smooth. Return the blended potatoes to the pot.

Notice, please, no milk has been added to make “broth” for this soup. The blended potatoes become the broth with the water which remained in the cooking pot. In a pinch, add mashed potato flakes to thicken.

Return the pot to the stove over a low burner. Add the bacon, onions and shredded cheese and cook until the cheese is completely melted. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Take care not to bring to a boil or leave it on the burner too long as the bottom of the pot will begin to burn. Just heat all ingredients through, and it’s ready to enjoy!