Old 11-23-2011, 06:30 PM
cny_sewer39

Originally Posted by nursie76 View Post
I have been following this thread with interest. I am still having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that a designer designs a fabric the he/she feels will be marketable and sell well. They have it produced by the fabric manufacturer to...well...sell. So folks decide the fabric is awesome, buy it (sometimes at a premium price), take it home because it is perfect for a commissioned quilt, table topper...whatever. But wait! Can't do that because the same designer that was anxious to create a marketable fabric and have it produced for sale....wants...what??? A commission on anything crafted with that fabric and sold??? Phew.....it doesn't make sense. What do they expect to happen? That we would all pay to sit and stare at the fabric as one would in a museum? I can almost understand the sports logo type issue, but the rest is plain lunacy! If one makes a craft of their material that sells well at a flea market or specialty shop, then they will make more money because more fabric will be sold. Humph! I will definitely pay attention to the selvages on the fabric I buy from here on. I have yet to sell an item, but it just doesn't make sense. I respect the talent that goes into producing fabric designs, but when I part with my hard earned dollars to purchase said fabric, I feel that it then becomes mine to do with as I wish. By paying for the fabric, I am in essence paying the designer. Good Grief!

I agree. Times are very tough for more people than the "well off" people realize. It's not like when I sell an item that I made, that I am making a million dollars off of it. I am in NO WAY-GETTING RICH by any stretch of the imagination. You would think that companys would want they logos & products out in circulation. It's a very sad day, when a housewife/househusband can not make a little extra money to help support their family. I guess it means no electricity or food to eat. A sad, sad day.

Have a blessed & safe THANKSGIVING.

debra