View Single Post
Old 11-30-2011, 07:40 AM
Joanne9of12

Oh what the heck, why not get both? :-) Seriously, if possible test drive both machines and be sure to spend a fair amount of time on each doing the things you like best. If you free motion quilt, make sure you do that with both machines and don't just work with a very small "sandwich." You can do that just to get the feel, but take along a large project so you can get a feel for how it will be to work with a large quilt. Play with some of the feet to make sure you understand how they work, how they are attached, etc.

I'd be sure to ask for any service records on the machines and do a little research to find out what came with the machine when originally purchased. (A friend bought a 1 year old machine and it seemed like it had everything it should have only to find out later that a walking foot was part of the original purchase. The previous owner decided to keep that and another foot because they fit her new machine and didn't come in that "package." She didn't want to have to buy them, so she kept the other ones.)

Also ask about the manual and any additional training materials. I know when I bought a new machine, I had a "Get to Know Your Machine" class that included some helpful handouts that were not included in the manual.

Good luck and let us know what you decided!