Thread: Organized Chaos
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2011, 09:49 AM
onaemtnest

OM-Goodness, I like others have stated could not work in that much chaos...but that is me. What my problem/issue is I make such a mess when I'm being creative. I tend to tidy before I leave the room because I don't stop while I'm busy cutting, sewing, pressing etc. I get frustrated, irritated if I walk back into the room and it's not 'ready to go'....Now don't get me wrong....when I'm in the middle of a project I wouldn't want any visitors to my sewing/craft room!

I did have four huge cabinets and try as I might I never organized the fabrics well. Then I heard of folding fabrics over comic boards. This past summer, I took all the fabric out of the cabinets and folded each and every piece that was over one yard on the comic boards. I purchased 4-100 count packages, from a local comic book shop and used nearly every one.

Now my fabrics are on book shelves and in two cabinets sorted by color, theme. Before the stacks of fabric, no matter how neatly folded, got in front of other stacks and I was running to the fabric store to find fabric when I probably had a fabric in my stash. The amazing thing to me....once organized the fabric cleared two large double door cabinets that my husband now uses! So in essence for me, my stash takes up less room now that it's folded over the comic boards.

When I took out all my fabric I was AMAZED at the fabric I had, that I totally forgotten about! I really enjoyed going through all the fabrics, getting rid of the ones that no longer interested me and getting to handle all my fabrics once again. Now I can 'shop' my stash more efficiently, see at a glance what I have or don't have.

Anything less than one yard is folded in drawers on edge, again I can see at a glance what I have. 5 or 6 yards I use two comic boards folding from opposite directions.

I also buy bolts of my favorite fabrics...like my passion for Benartex Fossil Ferns and those are folded on the cardboard bolts stacked side-by-side on edge on a low closet shelf, again allowing me to see at a glance what I have. The upper shelves are all my craft supplies which are in what they call Magic Drawers (clear plastic interlocking drawers) I purchased those on QVC...what a wonderful system that has been for crafty items.

So for me, personally, I have to have my sewing table completely clear when I'm sewing, because it drives me mad to be moving a quilt and knocking things off on the to floor.

I in no way disparage anyone else in how they operate, whether they be a 'Nellie Neat Nick' or a 'Carrie Chaos'...I fall easily in the very middle of these two examples... :0) "Whatever floats your boat" as my DH says....however, whenever, whatever your Cave is, the time you can steal away to your private "Quilt Cave" and be doing what makes your heart sing...So Be It!

Last edited by onaemtnest; 12-01-2011 at 09:54 AM.