View Single Post
Old 12-03-2011, 09:56 AM
SandyinZ4

Originally Posted by emsgranny View Post
So glad to hear that there are so many hand quilters still out there I have raynuards disease in my hands and have very little feeling in them - I do still embroider by hand and would love to learn to hand quilt. Not sure if I can do it though lol I am going to have to find somewhere to learn. Gosh, I could realy use some relaxation lol. How do you keep the backing and bating together if you dont use a frame??
I do not have a quilting frame and I have hand quilted several quilts. I knew no better and since the only place that was big enough to sandwich my quilts was on my bed, that is how I did it. Laid down the backing, then the batting and then the quilt top. Knelt down at foot of bed and began to pin with safety pins, the layers together, rolling it up as I went after it was pinned. Then I lay it out on the floor as it isall well pinned and put my lap frame in the center, lock it on and begin quilting. When I am ready to move to a new place, I spread it out on floor again, un-pop the frame, place it where I next want to quilt, remove the safety pins and start again. Works for me.